Looking to access your theme's code or language options with Shopify's new theme editor layout?
In your Shopify admin click on Online store > Themes
Next to the theme that you want to edit click on the Menu button which is a small square with 3 blue dots
This will open a submenu of options which includes: Edit HTMl / CSS and Edit Language
Use Collection Full width Banner Images
The Collection Description section of each of your collections can contain text, images or video to further enhance the view of your products and also SEO.
Enabling this option will automatically take the first image entered into your collection description and display it as a full width banner at the top of that selected collection page.
Collection page Sidebar
An additional Sidebar can be displayed to further illustrate more collections in your store.
When enabled you can choose to display 4 different link lists which can be created in the Navigation section of your admin.
Other choices include Shop by Designer which will automatically output Vendors used for products in your store.
If no Linklists are chosen a default link list will appear if you have a link list named identically to a collection in your store. This offers an excellent robust solution for showing deep navigation. Here is how it works:
- Add Some Tags to your products to make it easy for you to create collections..
In this Instance we want to create a seperate Mens and Womens Navigation for a clothing store.
Tag products with Mens Jeans, Mens Tops, Mens Jackets, Womens Tops, Womens Jeans, Womens Jackets
- Click on Collections in your admin and create some collections containing products.
For Example a Clothes Site may stock Mens and Womens Clothing
In this Instance we will create 2 Collections... Mens and Womens
- Products will be automatically added to these collections using Tags....
For Instance the Mens Collection should look for these tags:
Mens Jeans, Mens Tops, Mens Jackets
- Once the 2 collections are created go to Navigation and create a new linklist.
- Give the Linklist a name - This Title must be identical to a collection in your store
In this instance we will call the link list Mens
- Add some links to the mens collection and for each link choose: Filter with tags.
Add the Tags but replace any spaces with a hyphen " - "
Link 1 should be: Mens Tops ( Collection / Mens ) Filtered: mens-tops
Link 2 should be: Mens Jeans ( Collection / Mens ) Filtered: mens-jeans
Link 3: should be: Mens Jackets ( Collection / Mens ) Filtered: mens-jackets
- Repeat these steps with a womens linklist and then save.
- Open the Mens collection in your store and you will see the new list at the top of the sidebar
click on the links to jackets, jeans and tops and the list will still be visible.
This works as the collection has never been left... Once you link out to a different collection the title changes and it will look for a different linklist.
- This unlocks real potential to offer very deep linking in collections but will need a little trial and error time to get right.
You may choose how many products you would like to show on each row.
What you choose here will also carry through the homepage for your homepage grid and homepage collections setup to give your store a uniform look.
Quick view allows customers to shop faster on your site can be enabled or disabled.
Enabling this option will make your site load slightly slower.
Product Detail Text Alignment allows you to choose to have left, center or right aligned product titles and prices.
Show Vendor on product titles allows you to show the vendor associated with each product above the product title
Make product price bold allows you to make the price bold
- Enter your product admin
- Create or modify an existing product
- You will see an option to add tags to the product ( these have no SEO use, don't get confused here )
- Add tags that you would like to use to identify your products in the filters, separated by commas Here are some examples:
S, M, L, XL, Red, Blue, Black, White, Green, Silk, Cotton, Linen,
- When you have included your tags save the product and go to Themes > Theme Settings
- Look for Collection Page
- You will see some text boxes. In the color box add your color tags:
Red, Blue, Black, White, Green,
- In the Size box enter your size options:
S, M, L, XL
- In the Last box you can choose a Title - for the demo lets call it: Material and add some material tags
Silk, Cotton, Linen,
- Make sure that spelling and upper / lowercase is identical to how you entered the tags on your products!
- Apply the settings - you are all done!
To change the Titles of each of these sections click on themes in your admin and choose the menu icon with 3 blue dots followed by Edit Language.
On the next page choose: English and click on Collections.
Alter the titles as needed and click save