Looking to access your theme's code or language options with Shopify's new theme editor layout?
In your Shopify admin click on Online store > Themes
Next to the theme that you want to edit click on the Menu button which is a small square with 3 blue dots
This will open a submenu of options which includes: Edit HTMl / CSS and Edit Language
Free up to 2,000 subscribers Mailchimp is an excellent tool for managing your list subscribers and sending email campaigns giving you import information on what links in your campaigns were popular, which customers are engaged. Mailchimp also gives you the safety and protection that you need with it's double opt-in signup process and unsubscribe management.
To connect to your Mailchimp account follow these easy steps. The Testament theme contains a popup mailing list signup box that customers will see when they enter the site.
The popup contains a Cookie that stops this from being displayed on that customers browser for 7 days.
You can enable or disable this popup easily - click on themes > theme settings and open the section titled: Newsletter
To enable Check or uncheck the box marked "Enable Mailing List Popup on page load"
To use the mailing list function on your site you will need a Mailchimp account.
** Mailchimp is free up to 2,000 subscribers**
- 1. Go to www.mailchimp.com and sign up or sign in if you have an account.
- Once you have an account click on Lists and create list ( if you do not already have one
Lists are where your email subscribers live once they have joined your mailing list.
- Once you have created a list click on Lists again in your Sidebar to return to the overview.
- Click on your preferred list ( if you have more than one )
- Choose: signup forms
- Choose: Embedded Forms
- Click on Super Slim
- On the bottom right you will see Copy / Paste onto your site - We only need a small part of this.
Copy this content and paste it into a text editor like Word or notepad
* Do not copy and paste this directly to your Shopify theme?
- On Line 9 You will see content that begins with:
Copy the full address in between " and " do not include those quotes, only what is inbetween them.
If the text you have selected contains: method="post" you have copied too much.
- Once you have the correct section return to your Newsletter section within your theme and paste this small segment of the code into the Mailchimp List URL section.
Save this - Your Mailchimp Account is now connected.
Bonus - Control the Mailchimp thank you page
In your Shopify admin click on Pages and create a "Thank you" page which customers will see as soon as they are subscribed to your site. This page should make customers aware that they have received an email asking them to confirm their subscription, this is part of the double opt-in process to ensure that your customers are the ones subscribing.
Don't offer discount codes or any rewards here as the customer has yet to confirm their subscription!
Once you have this page ready open it in your store and copy the URL from the web address bar at the top of your browser.
- Go to your Mailchimp account and open the Lists section. On the right of the list your subscribers are being added to click the down arrow and select: Signup forms.
- On the next page choose: General Forms.
- On the page you will see a section titled: Forms and response emails Click the dropdown below this and choose: Signup thank you page.
- Add the link to your thank you page to the box provided and click save.
Customers will not be directed to this page once they add their mail address and subscribe.
There are other forms within this section of Mailchimp that can be redirected also. It is worth taking the time to read through what these offer and customise as much content as possible to keep everything on your site consistent
Using different email marketing providers
Although it is possible to re-code the themes to use a different email marketing platform like constant contact, Klaviyo, Freshmail and Campaign monitor we regret that to code and configure each is not a simple process and is not something that we can offer to change within the free theme support offered.
Using a tweaks service like: Hey Carson or our own Tweaks service would be advisable if you do not want to rework the theme code.